Friday, January 16, 2009

Debt Buster's Club

I misquoted Angie's monthly meeting title in my past post, and wanted to correct it.
Angie over at www.thriftyfloridamama.net is holidng a monthly Debt Buster's Club.
It began on Jan.8th. Each month she is going to check in and let us know how much (if any) debt she has paid off and how she found the money to do it. To start off for January's post she has her debt totals and some ideas of how she is going to come up with the extra money to pay it off. Her goal is to pay off all of her debt by the end of 2009- What a GOAL!!

I wish I could be debt free by the end of 2009, but my goal is to be debt free by the end of 2010. I am planning to participate in Angie's Club and put up my numbers.. and what I hope to accomplish this year in terms of Debt Pay-Off.

Here are my numbers...

In 2008 we paid off 2 crdit cards with the help of a debt counseling service (DFF). We are continuing to work with them on most of our debts... but they would not take-on "small" credit cards (with balances under $700).. so we have 4 cards we are working on on our own.

As of January1, 2009
Our Total Debt we still have to work out with DFF is $26,000 (paid off $2400 in 2008-Yea!)
Current total with the 4 cards we are working with is $2400
A "family" loan of $1200 and a "friend" loan of $400.

total Debt: $30,000-- UGH!!

Our goals for 2009
*Work with DFF to pay down at least another $10,000 of that debt
*Work on our own to pay off 2 of the 4 cards we have, or pay off $1000 of the $2400
*Pay off completely the "family" and "friend" loan, so pay off $1600

So we hope to have paid off $12,600 in debts in 2009!!

That will leave us with $17,400 to pay off in 2010, in order to be debt free!

How will we do it?
* No "extras" for 2009- no vacation, no movies, no extras of any-kind
* One of us (not sure yet who) will be getting a part-time weekend job, in hopes of making an extra $300-$400/month.
* Limit the "splurges"- only ordering dinner once a month, keep tight watch on the grocery bill (try to keep it at about $85/week), and limit "impusle" buys (those little packs of gum, can of soda, dollar store trips can really add up)
* Keep B-days and Holidays to a more Moderate spending- no excess but also not to feel deprived.

Well there it is!
I am a DEBT BUSTER!!!
Join me in my journey. I'll participate each month with Angie over at www.thriftyfloridamama.net and keep you posted on my progress.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christian debt forum is another good option to get out from burden of debt, here in this forum people can come and get a useful suggestion from the experts. They offer good source of ideas to save money, to come up from financial crisis.

http://www.christiansdebtcounseling.com/

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen,
Here is a tip that I was reminded of yesterday when we received our utility bill. Sign up for online statements. We are paying $1.04 per month for paper billing. I will be switching to e-billing and getting E-mail alerts for our utility bills. Also, I plan to look at the other paper bills we have been receiving and see what kind of fees are attached to having them printed. I'm sure we could save quite a bit that way... possibly worth a few nights out to dinner or at least one dinner/movie night or one more bill paid off.

Lisa